Saturday 21 September 2013

Book Review: Pecry Jackson and the Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #2) by Rick Riordan



Published Date: April 1st 2006 
Pages: 279 (hardback) 
Publisher: Disney Hyperion Books, Penguin Australia 
ISBN: 0786856866 


Synopsis 

The heroic son of Poseidon makes an action-packed comeback in the second must-read installment of Rick Riordan's amazing young readers series. Starring Percy Jackson, a "half blood" whose mother is human and whose father is the God of the Sea, Riordan's series combines cliffhanger adventure and Greek mythology lessons that results in true page-turners that get better with each installment. In this episode, The Sea of Monsters, Percy sets out to retrieve the Golden Fleece before his summer camp is destroyed, surpassing the first book's drama and setting the stage for more thrills to come.

Book Review 

I read Sea of Monsters straight after I finished reading The Lightning Thief and I'm glad I did. I just love the world that Rick built in The Lightning Thief and I love how it continued in Sea of Monsters. It has all this Humour, but then you get those moments when you have to really feel for the characters. I love we get to see all the old characters from The Lightning Thief and I love how we get to see some new characters, especially Tyson. I just can't stop myself for loving Tyson, he is just so cute and brave and the way he cares about Percy is adorable. 

Sea of Monsters is an exceptional book and a perfect and fitting sequel to Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief. It's packed with undeniable drama and hilarious adventure, which compels you to never put the book down. Like the first book, it’s fast paced, and excitement on every page that never seems to slow down. The character development thought out the book is simple amazing, but I guess that Rick can do that and does it fantastically, as his characters are so young and they can be built on. I think Rick does this perfectly. 

Camp Half Blood is in trouble and it means so much to all the campers but Percy and Annabeth just that much more, and I think their determination to help it survive is demonstrated completely. Thalia's pine tree was poisoned and the magical borders of the camp are not strong enough to protect the demigod from the monsters and the only thing that cure the tree and that is the Golden Fleece. The Adventure to find the Golden Fleece just makes every Mythological geek and I am one of those, squeal with excitement. If you love Greek Mythology then you will not be disappointed. Percy’s quest somewhat mirrors that of Homer’s Odyssey and the similarities attached with the modern-day setting make for gripping fare. 

The way Rick describes the events that happened; you can picture yourself in the scene and fighting the battle or watching. All the complications that came with the quest of finding the Golden Fleece are exciting and unexpected.  Rick seems to have so much to play, and just likes to mess with our minds untold prophecies, old rivals, new foes, and unexpected allies.


The way that Rick Riordan can captivate a reader is beyond me, he just seems to draw you in. I just love how he writes Percy. Percy finds out so much about himself thought sea of monsters and I can say this series could be a coming to age novels with that little twist. I also adore the growing relationship between Percy and Annabeth, I think it’s so cute and just adorable, and my heart just aches, I also like that they are not in a relationship, they are still young here, and their feelings are growing and they are starting to notice what these feelings are especially Percy. I recommended everyone read  the Percy Jackson books, they just seem to take you to another world, to go on a adventure.  


Some of my favourite quotes;

“Families are messy. Immortal families are eternally messy. Sometimes the best we can do is to remind each other that we're related for better or for worse...and try to keep the maiming and killing to a minimum.” 

“Before I could figure out how to apologize for being such an idiot, she tackled me with a hug, then pulled away just as quickly. "I'm glad you're not a guinea pig.""Me, too." I hoped my face wasn't as red as it felt.”  


I can give The Sea of Monsters nothing else than a 5 out of 5 stars.



No comments:

Post a Comment