Tuesday 13 August 2013

PTA Live Melbourne

Last Night  (Monday 12th of August) at 6pm I found myself at Penguin Teen's Australia Live even in Melbourne, after being at school all day so excited for this event. I was a little nervous as this was my first ever book even and first ever PTL, I had no idea what was going to happen. As soon as I stepped in the Doors I was in heaven. It was mesmerizing seeing all these books, and desk (that may sound very very wired) but, it was an amazing place. I felt that I was at home. I walk down the Stairs and into the room where the event was being held. We were greeted but the lovely PTA team. Whom were smiling brightly. 

When we walked into the room that the event was being held there was chairs lined up with bags on each. I sat down and the chair and looked through the showbag, and to my surprise there was 2 books inside. The First Third by Will Kostakis  and Jennifer Kloester's Novel The Cinderelle Moment. I was very glad that these two books were on the show bag, as I have wanted to read them since I heard about them. It was also a 'coincidence'  that these two Australian Authors were there. I also had another surprise in my bag a Beautiful Creatures DVD. I was very happy, as I noticed that not everyone had them, I felt very lucky that I sat in the seat that I did. 



At about 6.10pm it all started, Felicity whom runs most of the social media part of PTA, who stared talking about how that Young Adult is for Adults as well. I started to look around the room when this was said and I noticed that there was Adults in the room and I felt that, what she said was true, even though I am a teen I agree that Adults can read YA and should not me damned for it. I reckon that anyone that over the age of YA could and should read YA, as they are not just romantic cheesy novels. 

After that the dissuasion moved onto some of PTA's Favourite YA Novel's. This Included Just Listen by Sarah Dessen (one of my personal Favourites) The Fault In Our Stars by John Green and how it is not just a book that will make you cry but so much more. On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta . Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead  and how amazing her writing and she herself are. The last book that they included was Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins  and how that is not just a snappy cheesy romantic novel set in France 




They then went on and talked about titles that they wished and hoped they owned the rights too, as such titles as The Hunger Games by Susan Collins, Harry Potter by J.K Rowling, The Mortal Instrument Series by Cassandra Clare just name a few of the titles they talked about. The discussion then turn to book to screen adaptations such as the web series The Lizzie Bennet Diaries, which I have yet to watch but as I am about to start Pride and Prejudice in Class,  I think it is the perfect time. They went on to tell us that they cast for the new web series of Emma Approved will all be new cast and won't be bringing the old cast in. Fangirling cries started to erupted when the Vampire Academy Cast Appeared on the screen, Felicity then went on to tell us that the trailer will be out this week and Richelle has seen it and we will see alot for a teaser trailer. She then went on to tell us how perfect Danila is as Dimitri, which lead to more fangirling squeals around the room. A few more movies were then briefly talked about such as The Fault in Our Stars movie coming up. 

Undrated YA novels such as Easy by Tammara Webber and Scarlet by Marissa Myer . They went on to thank all the bloggers that spread the word of YA books and Review them, that helped give a positive atmosphere of YA books. They also thanked us for our honest options, when we like a books we say it, when we dislike a books we say that. As a reader I also love that people give honest options as I liked to know what other people think. I also like to thank the team at PTA for having my blog up there on the screen, it made me smile so much! Penguin Teen's Australia shiny new website was launched last night, and I love it. Everyone and Anyone should go check it out here. If you loved something from the old site don't worry it will be there soon. They are still moving everything over.  

The talk when moved to the authors in the room Will and Jennifer. They were asked questions both from the Audience and PTA team. They asked questions like being published, about writing and what the hardest thing they came by when writing. Both writes were funny, and admiring in the way they talked about writing, their books and everything. Felicity then ask Will and Jennifer about if they 'hear' their characters or do they see them. Jennifer went on to say they she got a white noise in her head before and during writing her novel. With this Will moved his chair away from Jennifer, which cause the whole crowd to laugh. Something that caught my attention was a question about taking parts out you're that you really wanted to keep. Both Will and Jennifer did have this problem but they both were able to fix things around and were able to keep most of what they wanted. They also talked about that you will have to take big chunks out of your writing, that are not that very fitted well into the story or are not that important as your first thought. Will also spoke about how he practised monologues in his head and worked around them to make scenes in his book. It was very admirable to listen to these Authors talk about their struggles and theirs highs, it made me feel that even though writing can be stressful it does have it's rewards. 



After the authors were questions for about 40mins ish, there was a break and we were able to get The Cinderella Moment and the First Third sign by their authors and walk around PTA's facility. I first lined up in Jennifer's line, we got sticky notes which our names were written on so it would be easier for the authors. It was very coincidentally my name is Angel and Jennifer's main Character of The Cinderella Moment is Angel as well, so when I went up to the table to get my book sign, she had a big smile on her face. She was very happy and asked for a photo straight away which, she tweeted. I was and still am very flatted by this. Jennifer is very lovely and really nice. I then moved onto Will Line. Will is funny and really charismatic. He asked if I was school, what year I in and what I wanted to do after I finish school. We them walked around the Facility and I felt like I was at home with all the books. 







After about an 30min break we all sat back in our chairs but then Felicity said there were VA badges and books marks, I have never gotten up quicker from my seat in my life. After all us fangirls calm down we started to talk about upcoming releases for the rest of 2013. The Fall of five by Pittacus Lore, Daylighters by Rachel CaineHeroes of Olympus: House of Hades by Rich Riordan  and talked about the major cliff hanger he left in the last books and how we need it now! haha Champion by Marie Lu and the list goes on. But Finally we got to the part where most of us VA fans waited for The Fiery Heart by Richelle Mead  when the Cover come onto the screen you hear the sequels from the fangirls. Felicity went on to tell us that we would want to throw our book in many parts of the book and this tore me to screeds, but then she said there are part you will be very happy about. At first she said that were was not a copy of The Fiery Heart in the whole office, but then she admitted that she had a locked copy on her Ipad, and her being amazing said she would read us an extract, which pretty much tore me to bits and I need The Fiery Heart NOW!!!!!! we talked about how Sydney is different from Rose and she is Brian Smart not like Rose whom is Battle/War Smart, and I agreed with what Felicity said it was refreshing and nice to have Sydney as the main character. 




Overall I had an amazing night, with book loves like myself. I am so happy that i went. I enjoyed it immensely. I would go again again and again. The PTA team are all lovely and I thank them for all the hard work they put into PTA Live Melbourne.  I know that everyone enjoyed it. I love to thank Penguin for opening the doors for all us book lovers and aspiring writers. Thank you so much again 

Please ask questions if you need them to ask. 




No comments:

Post a Comment