Friday 27 September 2013

Book Review: Percy Jackson: The Titian's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #3) by Rick Riordan






First Published: May 5th 2007
Pages: 304 (paperback)
Publisher:  Puffin Books, Disney Hyperion Books , Hyperion Books for Children
ISBN: 0141382899 


Synopsis 

IT'S NOT EVERYDAY YOU FIND YOURSELF IN COMBAT WITH A HALF-LION, HALF-HUMAN.

But when you're the son of a Greek god, it happens. And now my friend Annabeth is missing, a goddess is in chains and only five half-blood heroes can join the quest to defeat the doomsday monster.

Oh and guess what. The Oracle has predicted that not all of us will survive...


Review


Rick Riordan knows how to write! The Percy Jackson and the Olympian Series just seems to get better and better by each book. More Action, More characters, More Shocks.

There is so much more action in The Titian’s Curse and I love it. Between the demigods and the Gods there is bound to heaps of action and I was not disappointed I could not put the book down, as I just did not want to miss a thing. Now that might sound wired but that is how I felt when I was reading. I love that it is fast paced and in that it is packed with so much action.

We also get introduced into so many different characters. Some of those are "The Hunters" and their leader Artemis. The Hunters are a group of girls who have renounced adulthood, men, and love. They are an immortal group of maidens who follow Artemis on her hunts and where-ever else she chooses to go. I found them very intriguing and interesting. They are very different to what I have seen in other books and I really enjoyed it. 

We also met Nico and Bianca Di Angelo. I really don’t want to give too much away about these two, but they are two demigods. I liked Nico at the start and he grew on me to the end. I understood why he said and did some stuff and I don’t hold him to what he said. As for Bianca I just could not connect her and she got on my nerves alot and I don’t even know why.

Most of our favourite characters are back, like Grover, Thalia, Annabeth and of course Percy. Who of which I love all, and glad they are back. I love Grover and I always will he knows how to put a smile on my face, Rick I think writes him perfectly humorous. I am loving Thalia, we did not get to see much of her in the previous book, but in The Titan’s Curse we do and I really enjoy her.  I have mixed feelings about Annabeth, I do like her, I really do but sometimes she just gets on my nerves. Percy is a lot stronger and smarter in this book to the previous 2 and I guess as he is getting older he is becoming older and also coming to terms with the prophecy. He can come up with strategies that can help them defeat or overcome a monster.

 We get to see more of the God and Goddess in The Titian’s Curse and I love this. I love Greek Mythology and I love seeing the Gods as Rick perceived them in the book. It was different and really interesting. The Gods and Goddess have more of spotlight in this book than the previous 2 books. We meet Ares, again but we also meet Aphrodite and Apollo and obviously Artemis. We also see alot more of Mr. D and find alot more about him. I love how they have this more modern vibe to go with the modern world that Rick Riordan created. I never feel bored and I love the view he takes on different mythology stories. 

There were many cliff-hanger moments and some very unexpected moments that rocked me to my bones.  I don’t know how many events, Rick can put into such a small, but I love it. There is also some new evil arising and some old as well. There were many shocks in the book good and bad.

The tone of the book also becomes a little darker. This time, even though Riordan's trademark humour remains, the demigod’s choices take on new significance and have real implications for the future, both personally and cosmically. It makes sense since everyone is getting older and the inevitable prophecy is getting closer and closer.  

I just love the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series so far and Rick Riordan knows how to capture an audience.


Some of Quotes that I like;

“Ever had a flying burrito hit you? Well, it's a deadly projectile, right up there with cannonballs and grenades.” 

"That's us," he said. "Those five nuts right there." 
"The little deformed one," Zoe suggested. 
"Oh, shut up.”  
“Grover was sniffing the wind, looking nervous. He fished out his acorns and threw them into the sand, then played his pipes. They rearranged themselves in a pattern that made no sense to me, but Grover looked concerned. 
"Which one is me?" I asked.  "The little deformed one," Zoe suggested.  "Oh, shut up.”  

I Give The Titian's Curse 5 Stars out of 5 

What are your thoughts on The Titian's Curse?

2 comments:

  1. what a great review!!! These books aren't in my genre to read, but I love your review!!!!

    I'm a new GFC follower
    Sarah @ The Ultimate Bookworms.
    xo
    awesome blog!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much, means alot that people read my reviews and actually like them. :)
      And Thank you for following.

      Delete