Tuesday 1 October 2013

Book Review: Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky #1) By Veronica Rossi




Published Date: January 3rd 2012
Pages: 374 (paperback) 
Publisher: Harper Collins
ISBN: 006207203X


Synopsis 

WORLDS KEPT THEM APART.

DESTINY BROUGHT THEM TOGETHER.

Aria has lived her whole life in the protected dome of Reverie. Her entire world confined to its spaces, she's never thought to dream of what lies beyond its doors. So when her mother goes missing, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland long enough to find her are slim.

Then Aria meets an outsider named Perry. He's searching for someone too. He's also wild - a savage - but might be her best hope at staying alive.

If they can survive, they are each other's best hope for finding answers.

Review 
Under the Never Sky is one of those books that I had wanted to read for a while as it sounded different, interesting and just damn good. So I went into it with pretty high expectations from both on what people have said and from what I had read from the synopsis and I was not disappointed.

I loved alot about this book from the plot, to the characters, to the writing style of Veronica. The Story just seem to captivate me and I turned page after page not realising how much I was reading as I just could not put the book down.  Like come on it’s set in post-apocalyptic world prone to energy storms in which the few human survivors are either Dwellers, living in government controlled pods, or Outsiders, living in the wasteland this is totally unique and different and just so interesting to me.

I did get a little confused with the world and concepts at the start but after a while I got used to it, also I did feel that there were some gaps but I guess that’s because our main characters are the narrators and they are left confused about the world we are too.

I loved out main characters Aria and Perry. Aria is so strong considering that all things she thought we true aren’t. She went through so much at the beginning both mentally and physically and it was only in the first few chapters and she grew more and more in strength throughout. I felt that I grew with her as she grew strong, I grew strong as well don’t even know how this makes sense but I felt like this. I also loved seeing the change in Aria over the course of the story. Aria is totally different at the end of the novel from the start.

 I love Perry, just everything about him. They way her cares for his nephew, they way he talks about the family even though they have done and did do some horrible things. He is strong like Aria both mentally and physically, his protective of both his family, friends and eventually Aria, his also this tough guys but he is one of the nicest guys I’ve seen/read after you break down the tough exterior that he holds.

 The introduction of secondary characters of Roar and Cinder just added a really nice dynamic and I really loved Roar, he was really fun to read about. Roar playful and good-natured cockiness balanced Perry's serious nature perfectly.

Aria and Perry oh my. They way Aria acts towards Perry at the start is completely different to the way she acts towards him at the end. I loved how the relationship grew very slowly and steady.  At first she could not stand him, even at midpoint she could just stand his present and be on friendly terms. When they finally realised their feelings for each other, I just wanted to scream at them to get together already.

The writing style is in third person rotating POV's and that is not something that is seen very often and I don’t think I have read  I was very surprised at how much I felt, given the style of writing. I could relate to what Aria and Perry were thinking and feeling, even without the use of "I" in the story.

The world was very interesting, and very different. I have actually not read a sci-fi novel ever so this was a whole new genre to me and I really enjoyed it, even if it wasn’t full of sci-fi. The abilities were very and I know I use this word alot but it was very intriguing. I was totally absorbed into this world.

There were so many twist and turns through the novel. They were unexpected and I loved it. At times you thought you knew what was happening or going to happen but then you were throw way off. It was very exciting and new. 

Some of the quotes I liked; 
 “She looked up. “A world of nevers under a never sky.”She fit in well then, he thought. A girl who never shut up.”

 “People can be cruelest to those they love.”  

I Give Under The Never Sky by Verionca Rossi 5 stars out of 5 



Have you read Under the Never Sky? What did you think of it?  If you have yet to read it, would you read it?



No comments:

Post a Comment